Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Chapter 2

My name is Mary Alice Brandon. I was born the second of December, in the year nineteen-oh-one. Although I was born in Biloxi, I was raised in Jackson, Mississippi. My parents love me.

I repeated my inner chant as the nurse walked me to Dr. Monroe's office. This was my calming technique. A way to remind myself that I'm not like the zombies that surround me. That I was a person. It's peculiar how Jasper said that he expected me to be broken, as if he knew from experience what a place like this could do to one's character.

I'm a Brandon; we don't let others break our spirit.

When I entered Dr. Monroe's office, I expected to see the familiar dark-haired doctor, but was greeted with silver hair.

In my nineteen years of life, I had never feared anything but dishonoring my family, until I met Dr. White. That man can instill the fear of God into any living creature. Vampire included.

"Good to see you in high spirits, Mary Alice," he said as he removed his glasses. The smile that I didn't realize was on my face dropped. "And how are you?"

"Good, sir," I said evenly as I straightened out the gown around my legs.

"And I hear you've made a new friend. Tell me about this friend," he said, looking right at me.

I decided to proceed with caution. "I don't know what you mean, sir."

He chuckled and looked through the file at his desk. "According to the late Dr. Monroe, you mentioned an individual that calms you. Jasper?"

"I'm sorry, has something happened to Dr. Monroe?"

"He will no longer be your doctor. Now answer the question, Mary Alice."

"Jasper is not a person, but a stone. Perhaps you've heard of it, you might have even seen it. It comes in greens, reds and yellows," I replied.

He sighed in frustration. "So you regularly talk to a stone at night?"

I shook my head. "I know not of speaking at night. I mostly lay in the darkness waiting for the sun to rise."

"You talk of vampires at night. There are no such things, Mary Alice. I've decided more treatment is in order."

"I do not. I've never mentioned such devilish creatures as vampires," I snapped. At least I don't think I did.

"You call Dr. Monroe a liar?" he sneered.

"No. I am just pointing out that I know vampires do not exist."

"Then who is Jasper?"

"I told you!"

He chuckled darkly, scribbling something onto his note pad. "The truth, Mary Alice."

"I don't know what you are talking about."

"We have ways to make you remember, don't we?" he threatened, making my blood run cold. "Who is this Jasper that visits you?"

I needed to think of something quick, something that would keep me from being punished for delusions. "Jasper is a suitor in my dreams. He's merely someone I see in my dreams."

Dr. White chuckled darkly. I quickly stood up from my chair. I wanted to get out the office as soon as possible.

"Are we done with our session today, sir?" I asked as politely as possible.

"For now, yes." The way he said that sent a chill throughout my entire being.
----
Before going to my room, I stopped in the food hall for a nice cup of tea. My visit with Dr. White had left me feeling cold on the inside and I needed something to warm me up.

As I sat there, sipping my tea and watching the snow fall, I thought about Jasper. As silly as it may sound, I was worried for him. Surely, even he would get a cold gallivanting around in the snow half-dressed like he had been the other day.

I felt the heat rise to my face as I remembered the way he looked in nothing but his trousers. Perhaps this is not the best to think of, Mary Alice, I scolded myself.

It was hard not to think of him in such a manner. After all, I was honest with him; he was the first man I had been that close to. Even in my visions he was the first of many things.

Not that I had seen us being intimate. Thank goodness, even in my madness, I had a sense of propriety.

But in my visions, he was the first man I would live with who isn't family. The first man to care for me. My first kiss. Goodness, he's even going to show me how to drive that automobile I've seen.

I just have to remember to not pester him about learning during the winter.

After my tea, I went back to my room. I was grateful that I wouldn't need the restraints tonight; I never sleep well with them on, and quite frankly, I wanted to be presentable when Jasper arrived.

I hadn't counted on my body instantly reacting to being able to curl up under the itchy wool blanket I was given, but it did. I fell asleep in an instant and was awakened by the feeling of not being alone.

Instead of having the normal human reaction and panic over this feeling, I felt oddly comforted. I could feel the smile form on my lips as I rolled over to face the other side of the room.

I couldn't see Jasper, but I could feel him. I sat up, staring into the corner where most of the shadows of the room were held.

"Jazz... is that you?" I asked in a whisper.

I heard a dark chuckle from the dark corner. "And if it wasn't?" I could see his outline as he moved closer to me, the light in the room reflecting off his red irises.
I sat up straighter, all of the lessons in being a lady running through my head as I regarded him. "That is a very good question. If it wasn't you, I would assume that I was sleeping." I moved over on the bed, smoothing the blanket and patting it softly. Surely mother would be disappointed that I offered that as a seat, but I wasn't about to offer him a place to sit on the floor.

He moved out of the shadows, closer to me. "What are you offering there, my pet?" he kept his voice quiet.

I tilted my head as I looked up at him. "A place to sit? Surely my bedding is more comfortable than crouching in the corner."

"I don't need to sit; I do not get tired or weary, my muscles do not ache," he explained in a somewhat bemused tone.

Difficult... always difficult. "Then perhaps you'll sit to humor me?" I asked sweetly. After all, mother always said you attract more flies with honey…

He studied me for a moment before nodding his head slightly and sitting where I had patted, the rope-like muscles rippling under the pale skin.

I smiled up at him. "See," I said patting his arm. "It's not so bad, is it?" I'm not sure why I wanted him close to me. I just wanted him to seem more human than he usually appeared. "So how was your day?"

"Profitable. The house is coming along nicely and I got the paperwork I needed to prepare for the Volturi so I can register you."

I couldn't help the unladylike snort I made as I shook my head. "Next you'll tell me that I'm to be bred like a bitch in heat," I teased. When I went to look up at him, something on the thigh of his trousers caught my attention. "Jasper, what on earth did you do today?" I asked him as I started pinching the fabric of his pants together to figure a way in which I could repair them.

I heard a quiet snarl and froze in place. All was quiet for a minute. "I hunted. I think she may have clawed at my pants in an effort to escape." His voice was eerily calm.

I gently rested my hand on his thigh as I slowly looked up at him. "Are you okay? Did she hurt you?" I asked, slightly worried.

He tilted his head, studying my face. "No, she didn't hurt me."

I gave him a small smile, before the reality of the situation finally set in, causing me to quickly pull my hand away and blush at the same instant. "You know, if you bring those along with you tomorrow, and a needle with thread, I'm pretty sure I can repair them."

His face softened a little as he nodded his head. "How has your day been? I noticed you aren't restrained," he asked, changing the subject.

"No crazier than I was yesterday," I waved my hand to dismiss the topic. "So these papers you speak of… does that mean I'll be leaving here shortly?"

He nodded his head. "So anxious?" A slight smile played on his lips.

I gave him a small smile and nodded. Anything was better than being told the one person who cares about you doesn't exist. "Aren't you?" He leaned close like he was going to kiss me. The air rushed out of my lungs as I quickly closed my eyes, willing my heart to quiet down and waited.

His lips touched the pulse point of my throat. "I am terribly anxious." His voice was thick as I felt his teeth lightly drag across my skin. I moaned softly in response despite myself.

"You are downright evil, Jasper," I whispered. He chuckled then pushed me back so he was hovering over me, his cool breath leaving gooseflesh in its wake as his lips and teeth traveled farther south to my collarbone, his tongue dipping into the slight crevice there.

"Jasper!" I gasped, gripping tightly onto his arms as I saw them coming. "No, no, no..." I started repeating, shaking my head. This couldn't be happening. I did everything by their expectations. "You have to leave," I told him quickly, my eyes flying open to meet his. He stiffened and then, in the blink of an eye, fled, his red eyes gazing at me intensely from the corner.

I got up and started pacing, wringing my hands together. I hated when they came in flashes. I saw Dr. White give the orders, but I didn't see what it would be this time.

Either of his two favorite treatments for schizophrenia and epilepsy was something I loathed about this place, but if I had to take my pick, it would be the crib. Pneumonia hurts less.

"Stay strong, my pet. I'll come get you shortly," I heard Jasper's strong voice from the corner.

I stopped at the foot of the bed before looking in his direction. From here I could see his crimson eyes get darker. Was my panic over this making him angry? If so, I never intended for him to see me before, during or immediately after my treatments.

The Heavenly Father above knows I would rather not see me in those time periods either.

I squinted as the bright light from the hall flooded my room, rendering me completely blind to the present as the seizure hit my system, showing the future. Apparently I had done something wrong, something to deserve the punishment they claimed as treatment.

----

The orderly tossed me unceremoniously into my bed before slamming the door behind him and locking it. Despite the pain surging through my body from the latest rounds of electroshock, I found enough energy to curl myself into a ball as the tears continued to flow.

It was strange how Jasper had said, just a few days ago, that he had expected to find me downtrodden after being here a little over half a decade. I didn't lie when I said he helped me. My first vision of him was shortly after I first arrived at Weston State Hospital.

My family paid a large sum of money to have their eldest taken care of in our nation's finest private hospital in West Virginia. I was alone and scared and I saw him. I saw his smile first. It was crooked and had the look of a child in the early stages of mischief, a smile that seemed far too young for a man his age.

Eventually, his smile got me through the treatments. I held on to the hope that he'd save me from this hell.

But he wasn't real. My visions weren't real. Nothing was real. I felt myself move and saw him look down at me with confusion. His cool skin felt nice against the slight fever of mine. "How are you feeling?" His voice was hushed.

"I hurt, but it doesn't matter. It's not real, none of this. You're not real. I'm just dreaming this all up to ignore the pain," I whispered back, placing my forehead against his shoulder. "Oh God... you're not real." I cried harder as I repeated the single phrase that felt like my world was collapsing around me.

I heard a growl and then felt emptiness.

"I wish you were real, Jasper," I whispered weakly before letting the pain overtake me and render me unconscious.

I sat in the rocking chair, amused by his scowling. "Honestly, Jasper, it's just a fire to keep me warm. It's not going to jump out and harm you," I laughed as I worked on my newest afghan. He just shook his head at me and didn't say a word. I hummed softly as I rocked back and forth, watching as the blanket grew bigger with each stitch.

I looked over to see him watching me. "Yes?" I asked, carefully putting my project away.

"You're beautiful." He smiled a little at me.

I got up from the chair and smiled at him as I moved to sit next to him. "Thank you." I gently touched my hand to his cheek. His smile faltered, I'm pretty sure because he felt my concern. "When did you last hunt, Jazz?"

He shook his head. "I don't wanna leave you right now."

I felt my eyebrows furrow at him. "Jasper Lawson Whitlock, you will go and hunt. I can take care of myself while you are gone. I don't need you weak, you know." I said the last part in a teasing manner, using his own words against him.

In the blink of an eye, he was standing and I was in his arms. "I'm not weak." He gave me a lopsided smile and pressed his lips to mine.


I woke up with a start as the cold water splashed my skin. I was surrounded by the familiar steel bars of the Utica crib. I sighed sadly as I tried to get the shivering to stop. From what the nurses say, the steel bars and cold water help regulate the seizures. If anything, it makes me cold.

I heard the sound of bending steel and felt something hard and cold push its way under me, pulling me up out of the water. "Barbarians," I heard Jasper hiss.

I whimpered into his chest as I wrapped my arms around him, pulling myself closer. I felt something silky wrap around me before I felt like I was flying.

I couldn't keep my eyes open much longer as the scenery blurred past me. "Sleep, pet," I could hear Jasper faintly say before slipping into the darkness again.

----

Perhaps the biggest luxury we have are our dreams. In our dreams, the frog is our prince, we can do no wrong, and we have no fears. But not for me. I never have those dreams. I'm never the princess being rescued; I am just the disappointment, and everything scares me. For me, the luxury I have is the darkness. The darkness means there will be no pain, no suffering, no visions.

Maybe instead of darkness, I was having a dream, for I found myself in a different reality than my own. In my reality, I lived in a room with a window high up and a small, hard bed, with no one to call my friend but a creature that couldn't truly exist. Yet, I found myself in the arms of my friend - my Prince Charming, possibly - escaping the evil to be brought into a world with him.

This surely must be a dream. This is only something that is written in the world of fiction, therefore it could not exist. Right?

When Jasper started to slow down, I opened my eyes. We were walking along a fairly long stretch of road that led to a small bungalow. I gasped as we got closer. Even in the fading hours of the day, the dark house seemed warm and inviting. The cobblestone porch made me smile, thinking of what it would be like to sit on it while drinking a cool glass of lemonade in the summer.

I looked up at Jasper when we stopped, seeing that he was studying me. "Is this your home?" I asked him.

"Yes, but it is for you," he explained.
"Me?" I asked, bewildered. "How is it for me if it's your home?"

"Because I have no need for a home, but I must maintain and take care of my pet. So I bought this house and, while it is technically mine, it was bought for you."

I studied his face, astonished that he would do this just for me. "Thank you," I told him, slowly placing my hand on his face.

He stiffened a little under my touch. "It is what is expected."

I pulled my hand back and gave him a polite smile. "Can we go inside, by chance? It's cold..."

He nodded and carried me up the step and through the threshold before setting me down. I pulled the fur coat around me tighter as I began to look around. Directly in front of me, I could see the kitchen; it appeared to be big and inviting from where I was standing. I looked to my left where there were two doors.

I went to the first door and opened it, but didn't step inside as I saw the debris on the floor. In the center laid a tub, but nothing else. "Washroom?" I asked, turning back to Jasper.

He nodded his head. "They call it a bathroom now. I saw an ad in a Sears catalog they showed me." He grew silent just as suddenly as he’d began speaking, almost like he'd revealed too much.
"You're adding it to the house?" I asked.

"Yes, I also added some things to the kitchen," he gestured towards it. "My mother would've loved an icebox."

Wait, did he just say... "Icebox?" I asked, unsure if I heard him correctly as I headed toward the kitchen.

"It's electric. It’s supposed to keep the food fresh for up to a week," he stated proudly from behind me. I turned back and smiled at him before moving to the center of the room.

I reached up, gently tugging at the string as the overhead light illuminated the room. I gasped as I took it all in. The icebox was large, the perfect size for a small family. The sink was a large, double basin sink, complete with wash stool, that was situated under a window overlooking the back yard.

Turning back toward Jasper, I saw that he had entered the room, again watching me closely. I smiled at him again before glancing over at the table. "Good thing it's a small table," I teased. "I don't suppose we'd have too many callers." In truth, I loved the cozy setting of the blue bench side table that was nestled into the wall.

"This is a beautiful house, Jasper," I said as I stood in front of him. "But it seems like so much trouble for you..."

A small smile played on his lips. "It was no trouble at all. I'm glad you like it."

I nodded. "I do, very much so. It almost seems like a dream..." I admitted softly.

"You dream about ruined floors and half done houses often?" he asked as he studied me again, his hands clasped behind his back and his posture entirely military-like.

I laughed and shook my head. "No, I suppose I don't. Being free is one of many things I dream about."

He looked me up and down. "I bought you some dresses..." He paused for a second, dipping his head as he added a little more softly, "And some undergarments."

I felt the heat rise to my face. "Yes, thank you. I'm sure I resemble a drowned cat at the moment," I joked before pointing in the direction of the second door I’d seen earlier. "Would that be the bedroom?"

"Yes," he said, quickly walking over to me and placing his hand on my lower back as if to guide me.
The room was much like the other in size, but was complete in its building. A rather large bed sat in the middle of the room, complete with folded linens and pillows. I nervously chewed on my cheek as I recalled what he had said before about our sleeping arrangements. There was another door in the room. I went to it, slowly pulling it open. The light from the bedroom – Jasper must have turned it on when I wasn't looking – shone in so I could see he had hung up several dresses, carefully placed a row of shoes beneath them, and folded various things and placed them on the shelves.

I gently caressed the fabrics, trying to recall from my life before the asylum what the materials were. I looked over at Jasper. "These are finer quality than I expected," I told him, confused.

"I do have an... affinity for finer things," he responded with a small smile.

I felt myself blush again as I looked to the clothing on the shelves. "Do you mind if I prepare for bed? I am a bit tired..."

"I would like to start our habits now so you grow accustomed to them." He walked over to the other side of the closet and picked up a small bundle before handing it to me. "I would like to drink from you and you will wear that. You have ten minutes to prepare yourself and stand next to the bed when you're finished," he stated calmly before walking out.

I looked down at the thin pile in my hands and shook my head as I unfolded the sheer cotton material. "Oh my..." I gasped. He wanted me to wear a robe to bed!

I shook head, quickly putting it back on the shelf before finding something a bit more appropriate for bed. I wasn't having any luck though. It seemed as if everything he had picked would be more fitting for a married couple. I sighed, exasperated, as I located my underwear.

As I slid the soft cotton over my skin, I smiled slightly, relieved that I could finally wear them again. I pulled the robe of the shelf and slid it on. This was highly inappropriate and I prayed that he would allow me to find something more suitable for bed soon.

Once I was finished dressing, I went to the bedside and waited like he’d asked. I even combed out my hair with my fingers, only to scold myself internally. I hugged myself, mainly to cover my breasts, as he walked in.

He had removed his shirt before his return and looked me over for a moment before chuckling. "Such modesty, pet?"

I shook my head to keep from looking at his bare chest, the lighting in the room making the muscles of his abdomen much more pronounced. "Of course. I'm not a common whore, you know."

He was by my side in the blink of an eye. "It's only me, pet... and I promise I won't sell you off or give you away." His voice was low and had a musical quality to it.

I smiled at him. "That's right, because you have no use for a thousand cows," I teased remembering a previous conversation we’d had.

"I have no use for a lot of things." I felt a pull on my underwear. "I meant for you to wear the gown without undergarments."

I shook my head and tried to push his hand away. "Isn't it enough that you have me in your presence in a robe, Jasper?"

A warning growl ripped from his chest and I was pressed flat on my back in bed. "You will do as I say!" His face was so close to mine I could feel the little bit of spit hit my face as he roared at me.

"Or what?" I asked. "You'll..." I turned my head to the side, deciding that I had no assurances that he wouldn't kill me. After all, I was at his mercy now. "Never mind."

"You really want to know what I'll do?" He turned my face so he could look in my eyes. "You really want to know what type of monster I am?"

My heart thundered in my chest, slamming against my ribcage. "You're not a monster..." I said softly.

"Oh, but I am." His eyes darkened considerably as his thumb brushed against my cheekbone.

"Jasper... please..." I begged, closing my eyes to keep the tears that were forming from falling.

"You're afraid, pet?" His tone was sure and steady. I nodded in response, unable to speak. "I want to come to an understanding with you." He moved slightly, taking a lot of his weight off me. "You will listen to me, you will do what I say, when I say it, and you are here for me. You are my pet, you belong to me." His voice was low and threatening. "And if you are good, I will treat you with kindness and I will not force anything upon you."

I opened my eyes to look at him. "Is that your word?" I asked softly.

"Yes, you have my word."

"And if I cooperate, you won't have me doing things that are improper?"

"If you wish to die a virgin, then so be it." He sounded rather amused.

"Forgive me for wanting to save that for the man I love," I defended, rolling my eyes at his amusement.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "What makes you think I'll allow that?"

I shrugged. "Maybe you'll find something better, trade me to another."

"You know that some are not as nice as I am..." His face was serious, then he shook his head. "You're with me until death... It's a part of your papers. I won't hurt you, but if you misbehave, I will be forced to show you my true nature."

Right, one prison for another. "As you wish," was all I could think to say.

He scoffed. "Had you imagined something else?"

"Oh yes, because I've always imagined being a vampire's pet. No, Jasper, I honestly didn't know what to expect," I snapped at him.

His eyes narrowed, "Apparently being good isn't going to be easy for you is it? Would you like for me to kill you and have your sister take your place? I can promise I won't be so nice to her." I could feel the anger rolling off him in waves.

My eyes widened at the mention of Cynthia. "No!"

His thumb brushed against my cheek once again, almost gentle like a caress. "That is the kind of monster I am. You don't want to cross me."

"But she's just a child! I was going to die regardless, Jasper," I cried. "Please don't hurt her... please..."

"I've killed children before... There are some who prefer their pets under the age of ten." He looked away from me, his voice softer and the way he held himself a little less confident.

I put my hands on his face trying to get him to look at me. "Jasper, please, I'll do anything to protect her. Promise me, please!"

"If you are good," his eyes held mine, "you have my word."

"I'll be good... I'll learn... Give me time, please. I can't... Jazz... Please don't hurt her."

He leaned down close to my ear. "Shh..." I felt the air around us become calmer. "You'll be good now..." he murmured.

I nodded, feeling the hysteria I put myself in fade away. "I will," I agreed.

"I would like to drink from you... If you struggle, I will be forced to restrain you. I do not want to hurt you. Are you well enough to begin?"

Again I nodded. "I think so..." He pulled me close, like a lovers’ embrace, his body flush against mine before he quickly moved his head to the swell of my breast. He sank his teeth into me with a small moan. I gasped as I felt him suck on the wound he’d created, my eyes fluttering shut as a new feeling washed over me.

He pulled me closer to him, his lips caressing me as he drank. I could feel my body warm up from the blush that covered my skin as it responded to his touch. My mind fought against my body, screaming that this was wrong, but my heart and body won out, giving into him... giving into the pleasure and feeling of it all.

A strange sound escaped my lips, causing me to open my eyes as I felt his tongue run along my skin. His eyes burned a bright crimson as he watched me.

"You enjoyed that," he mused.

The skin on my neck and face got warmer than before at his insinuation. "It wasn't horrible," I admitted softly.

"You have quite sumptuous veins here." He ran his finger along the top of my breast. "And a few other places... I'll change where I take blood from so not to scar the veins too badly."

My breath caught in my throat as his finger moved along my skin. "Oh..."

"I would like you to not wear anything under the gown from now on." He dipped his head a little. "It's easier to get to your veins that way..." he trailed off.

I swallowed thickly as I nodded. "I understand..."

His ruby-colored eyes met mine again. "I'm sorry for having to frighten you, my pet," he said softly as he ran his hand through my hair.

I closed my eyes and leaned my head into his touch. It was oddly comforting... "I understand why you did it, and I do not wish for Cynthia to get hurt." He hummed a little as he moved off of me and pulled the blanket up over me.

"Sleep, pet, you need your rest."

I hummed in agreement as my eyelids got heavy. "Don't leave me," I said softly as I rolled over onto my side, my hand reaching for him.

"I need to get you some food for the morning..." he murmured, but I felt the bed shift as he climbed into the bed.

I moved closer to him, making myself comfortable and muttering a soft "'Kay" before sleep overtook me.

No comments:

Post a Comment